Promoting the enjoyment and conservation of Cheshire’s garden heritage
Since the 1980′s, garden trusts have been established in 33 English counties. Until recently, Cheshire had been the exception, but with the help and support from the Association of Gardens Trusts (AGT), a group of volunteers has now ‘filled the gap’ and founded the Cheshire Gardens Trust.
By affiliating with AGT, we join more than 6000 members nationwide.
We aim to:
- create the regional forum for everyone who loves gardens
- promote the enjoyment, use and understanding of our parks and gardens
- seek their conservation and development
- improve awareness and appreciation of our local garden heritage
- undertake research and recording of the region’s historic designed landscapes
- encourage and support local communities in caring for their garden heritage
- promote the creation of new parks and gardens
Benefits of Membership:
- meeting people with similar interests
- guided visits to parks and gardens
- talks by specialists on aspects of design, garden history, restoration, plants… and more
- newsletters with information on events, articles and items of interest
- if you are interested, involvement with CGT working parties, for example: educational projects, conservation and planning, the development of a gazetteer of Cheshire’s parks and gardens
Our current work includes:
- developing a county wide Gazetteer of parks and gardens
- collection of data on the county’s gardens
- providing training for members in investigating and recording parks and gardens
- working with the Parks & Gardens DataBase – a national project with the University of York and the Association of Garden Trusts
- commenting on planning applications that affect Cheshire’s parks and gardens
- ensuring that members have unique opportunities to enjoy the parks and gardens of Cheshire through informative visits, talks and activities
The Council of Management welcomes your help and participation. If you are interested, please tick the boxes within the Membership Application.
The Cheshire Gardens Trust is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales No 05673816; and a Registered Charity No. 1119592.
Registered Office:26 Sandford Road, Sale, Cheshire M33 2PS